Interested in becoming a Certified HICAP Volunteer!
As a HICAP volunteer you will help Medicare beneficiaries make choices about how they receive their prescription drugs and health care services. You will be trained on Medicare benefits and exclusions and receive reference materials for use on the phone or in the field. Here are some of the duties that HICAP volunteers fulfill:
- Counsel persons needing help with Medicare
- Provide administrative support in the HICAP office
- Participate in outreach activities throughout your community
- Provide educational presentations to the public
- Distribute HICAP and Medicare brochures at health fairs and other community events
- Work on special projects
New Volunteer training begins February 9, 2015. Our Fresno-Madera HICAP office is located at 3845 N. Clark Street, suite 201 in the Wawona Building. Please contact us at (559) 224-9117.
We are open 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Funded by Fresno-Madera Area Agency on Aging
(559) 224-9117 / (800) 434-0222
The Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) provides free and unbiased community education and individual counseling to Medicare beneficiaries about Medicare, Supplemental plans, Prescription drugs, Medicare Advantage plans, Long Term Care, Appeals, and more.
HICAP is a volunteer-supported program that helps Medicare beneficiaries of any age make informed choices and provides advocacy when their health care benefits and rights are threatened or denied. Individual appointments are available throughout Fresno and Madera counties with trained volunteer counselors who are registered with the California Department of Aging.
Who does HICAP serve?
- Current Medicare beneficiaries
- Adult children and other representatives of Medicare beneficiaries
- People 65 years and over who are: eligible for Medicare related health insurance; or planning for retirement.
- People younger than 65 years who are eligible for Medicare due to disability
- People needing information on Long Term Care Insurance
Counseling SitesLocated throughout our two county area. Call our office staff for locations, times and to make an appointment at (559) 224-9117.
Speakers BureauHICAP will provide speakers on Medicare and related topics to any interested group. We welcome opportunities to share this information with professional associations, community groups, senior centers, faith-based organizations, unions, women's groups, political clubs, benevolent organizations, and any other interested group. There is no charge for this service. Call our office staff for more information or to schedule a presentation. Community Education Our office also sponsors in-depth workshops, seminars, panel discussions and community education forums on a variety of Medicare and health-insurance related topics. We would be happy to discuss joint-participation with other health-based or senior groups in the area, including senior housing facilities. Again, these services are free. Please call our staff for more information or to schedule a forum.
Contact HICAP: (559) 224-9117 or 1-800-434-0222